Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Butterfly Creek Nighttime Madness

Several months ago Mark and I entered the Butterfly Creek Nighttime Madness cross-country race. It seemed like a good idea. At the race start after dark on a Saturday night in the middle of August, our sanity certainly seemed in question.

The race is done in pairs. For me, this basically meant that Mark was going to have a cruisy race while I was the one pushing myself to the limits. This wasn't helped by the fact I had a cold. I was tempted to pull out but the lack of girls willing to take my place (why is that?) meant I decided just to man up.

The race was 9.75 km and 400 m climb. It started in Eastbourne, winding along through a little native bush track over the ridge, down the creek, over the ridge again and back along the waterfront.

We did really well with a placing of 8th in a time of 1:19:15. I think this was (mainly?) due to our awesome gear. We had our Inov8 'Mudclaws' and my super-duper bright Silva headtorch that my lovely parents bought me for my birthday. With traction and illumination we were able to steam past everyone else slithering into unseen tree roots. I expect they were also intimidated by my impressively loud wheezing.

Don't mess with the mud claws

There was a cut-off point about 4 km from the end that if you didn't make it an hour you'd have to go back the short way. It is a little annoying that this isn't represented in the results, so potentially some of the people above us and lots of the people after us did a much shorter race. Perhaps something they could fix next time!

3 comments:

patrick said...

Mud Claws?

Chicken wire on the feet - or something more impressive?

Where to get?

Links please!

Sylvia said...

Chicken wire would be more inventive, but no, we just shelled out and they are just these fell racing shoes we bought when we were in the UK: http://www.inov-8.com/Products-Detail.asp?PG=pg1&L=26&P=5050973121.

You can order them online, although they seem to have changed the colour from stylish orange to yellow. I don't think it's much of an improvement (and I wasn't keen on the orange, either).

Unknown said...

Good job Sylvia! Just read up on your adventures, sounds like fun slithering through the mud in the dark (-: Those Innovates are good shoes - Chris has a pair over here and I am tempted to get some too.

Pouring with rain here today, all day! I think autumn has finally begun...maybe you are seeing lots of daffodils at the mo?

Take care,

Em