Monday, December 3, 2007

Christmas in the winter

A unique concept: Christmas when it's actually cold, there's a real possibility of snow, mince pies and mulled wine keep you warm and the Christmas lights illuminate your way home. Also, in Edinburgh, Christmas announces the arrival of the German market and ice-skating in Prince's Street Gardens.

I had a moment's reflection at the absolute beauty of the city when I was biking home (in the cold, wet and dark) and an explosion of fireworks began above the castle. It was the most amazing sight and I wish I'd had my camera. The celebration was St Andrew's Day (Scotland's patron saint) and so I went to a celebratory Ceilidh later on that night with Allie (one of my workmates) and Abbie (from NZ). There was blue and white everywhere and Abbie and I collected a little paper Saltire (Scottish flag) each to wave around.















No comments: