Thursday, March 29, 2007

LA: City of Angels, big cars and junk food

We arrived in LA after 11.5 hours of stuffing ourselves on aeroplane food (the ice-creams at midnight were a nice touch) and had a remarkably easy transition to our swanky hotel. We indulged in some local cuisine (Denny's). We felt guilty enough to use the exercise room for quite a while....

The flight the next morning to Toronto didn't follow quite the same pattern. I managed to lose Mark (trying to return the hotel keys he'd kept in his pocket by mistake), and after an hour or so checked in anyway, feeling guilty (headline: boyfriend abandoned in LA). I got to the front of the security check queue where the offical saw the letters SSSS printed on my ticket and said "oooHoooh you've been nominated for SPECIAL screening"...

I was sent down a corridor to another queue, another person, another person, another person - each saying "oh, you're SSSS, umm okay - HEY we've got an SSSS over here!".

Actually it was a total anticlimax because they just took me to this little glass box and swabbed my shoes and money belt for traces of explosives. I then proceeded to the lounge where Mark was waiting, having checked in long before I'd noticed he was missing.

Also, don't travel American Airlines. No free food on an international flight, you have to pay for the headphones and the airhostesses can be described as 'scary'.

No comments: